Employment Status:AP - Active - Regular - Part Time
The primary responsibilities of the Cook position is to prepare consistent high quality, nutritious food and menu items for patients, customers, guests and staff of The Childrens Hospital. All food and related product must be handled and prepared according to safe food handling techniques; City of Philadelphia Health Code for Food Service; established department policy & procedure and while maintaining consistent safety & sanitation standards and for the purpose of achieving high levels of customer satisfaction.
General Position Standards
- Adheres to the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia Rules of Conduct.
- Maintains strict adherence to departmental policy for uniform and appearance (refer to policy for detail) which includes the approved uniform that his distributed by the department; proper hair restraint and restriction on the wearing of jewelry.
- Maintains identifiable/professional attire at all times, including wearing name tags and identification cards.
- Responds promptly and positively to patients, families, associates and all others in a respectful, courteous and confidential manner.
- Respects confidentiality of patients and co-workers in all circumstances 100% of the time.
- Greets patients, families, co-workers and others in a calm, professional, friendly manner by making eye contact, initiating conversation and identifying self by name.
- Familiarizes self with and adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Participates in staff meetings and with team in a collaborative manner in order to resolve conflicts and meet institutional goals. Registers attendance to required meetings and training sessions.
- Achieves on-time completion of mandatory training 100% of the time.
- Achieves compliance to approved hospital required health screenings & immunizations.
- Responsible to take assigned breaks and notifies Supervisor, in advance, if for any reason a scheduled break will not be taken.
- Supports the orientation of new employees by providing productive and accurate on the job training experience.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Essential Job Specific Standards:
- Arrives to assigned position, in full uniform and ready to work at the start of assigned duty.
- Reports to supervisor on duty at both the beginning of shift to receive specifics of the day and end of shift to report status of completion of assigned duties/task assignment.
- Prepares consistent, high quality, nutritious and appetizing food in a timely manner and initials recipe to verify that prepared food item has been completed to recipe/food production sheet specification.
- Fully completes daily production records and turns in completed and initialed recipes & production sheets to Chef or Manager on Duty at the end of shift/assigned duties. Notifies Chef Manager/Manager on duty of need for recipe revisions if production forecast is updated and/or if there is ingredient shortage.
- Notifies Supervisor on duty immediately if unable to complete assignment or recipe and/or if prior day prep work is at issue.
- Follows proper food preparation techniques and standards at all times.
- Conforms to requirement for sealing, labeling, dating and proper storage of all products.
- Rotates product on a FIFO (first in first out basis).
- Follows Dept. of Health and dept. standards & guidelines for the cooking, holding, storage and reheating of all products.
- Delivers completed product to assigned service area on time; at proper temperature and appearance and with confidence that product meets quality standards. Notifies Chef or Manager on Duty in advance if, for any reason, food product will be delayed in readiness to meet service period. Provides adequate notice of production issues that could impact service so that ample time is available for corrective action.
- Records pre-service food temperatures; cooked food temperatures and cooling temperatures on approved logs and at the time the temperature is taken. Takes corrective action, and documents action, if food and/or refrigeration/freezer temperatures are out of required range.
- Reports potentially hazardous food or physical condition to Chef or Manager on Duty immediately and assists in taking corrective action or in the absence of a supervisor/manager takes immediate action to solve for suspected food or facility safety or quality issue.
- Records left-overs and run-outs on prescribed form immediately after each meal period. Notifies Chef or Manager on Duty, in a timely manner, if food product runs out before end of service period and end of shift.
- Consistently records all trim waste and discarded food product in the designated waste system.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Adheres to service standards by assuring clean, neat and organized service area.
- Assures that food/menu items are displayed according to standard.
- Follows portion control standards as described on recipe or food production record.
- Remains available to customer through-out service period following defined customer service standards.
Safety and Sanitation:
- Maintains established policies and procedures for safety, environmental and infection control.
- Complies with standards of cleaning and sanitation for the avoidance of cross-contamination, physical contamination, and/or chemical contamination of food. Sanitizes knives after each use.
- Utilizes prescribed personal protective equipment for cleaning equipment and when using knives.
- Inspects work area and equipment for safety/sanitation standards and immediately reports any unsafe conditions to Chef or Manager on Duty.
- Complies with clean as you go standards so as to maintain Dept. of Health conditions at all times during the execution of assigned duties.
- Assures the proper breaking down of cardboard boxes and the disposal of bottles and cans in the trash stream management as prescribed by the dept. and hospital.
- Practices personal hygiene and safety practices including proper lifting techniques, hand-washing technique for infection control, proper handling/utilization of equipment, and standards discussed at Safety meetings/postings.
Training and Education:
- Completes 100% of assigned training to satisfy CHOP Mandatory; JCAHO and department required training as scheduled.
- Achieves passing grade on Serv Safe training as assigned and maintains certification as required.
Other Essential Duties:
- Performs all other duties within scope of Cook responsibilities as requested.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Serv Safe Certification for Food Safety
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School/GED
Required Experience: Three years of Culinary Arts experience in a high volume Food Service setting required.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Additional Technical Requirements
or contact us at email@example.com
• Post ID: 39044158 philadelphia